Assignment: Week 1
*** Due by 3:00 pm on Tuesday, January 30 ***
Task 1: Info Form
Fill out this info form with your vital details.
Task 2: Required reading.
“How to Program Alexa: Your Step-by-Step Guide to Programming Your Amazon Echo Dot and Alexa App for Exciting New Skills” by Logan Styles (available on Amazon)
Optional reading: Inside the Sunnyvale Lab where Amazon’s Alexa Takes Over the World. Wired, Jan. 18, 2018
Task 3: Set up your Echo Dot.
Be sure to set up your Echo Dot with the same email address that you use for Amazon.com (some people have more than one email).
If you have read the book above, but are still having trouble setting up your Echo Dot, consult these resources:
How To Setup And Use The Amazon Echo Dot And Most Alexa Devices
Curious about what’s inside your Echo Dot?
And just for fun… Echo Dot — 50 Tricks and how to ask Alexa to say Anything!
Task 4: Review Three Skills
- Find three skills: Each student will find 3 skills they like. At least one should be a flash briefing type skill. At least one should have some connection to news/journalism.
- Get your skill URLS: To find skills, go to https://alexa.amazon.com where you can control your Echo Dot. Click “Skills” on the Left side. Click on a skill you want. Copy the URL of that skill by choosing “Share” (near the big blue “ENABLE” button), then clicking “Copy Link URL”. Paste the URLs for all three skills at the very end of your post.
- Write skill reviews: Each student (not each team) will make a single WordPress post giving a brief overview of the skills you found. Posts should be saved to WordPress 24 hours before next class (deadline: 3pm Tuesday). Posts will be shared with the class in class #2.
Guidelines for your blog post:
Write 3 paragraphs, one for each skill. Use 70-100 words per paragraph (because 100 words is about 30 seconds of spoken text).
Each paragraph of your post is a review of a skill. It must include:
- Name of skill
- Publisher (for example, ESPN or Hasbro)
- Frequency of publication
- Description of skill
- Your reason for choosing this skill (what spoke to you about it?)
- If you have room, add any other observations you wish to share
Tag each post with:
- Your name.
- Your team name, e.g. “team 1”
- The tag, “assignment 1”
- The category, “homework”
Be sure to publish your post!